January 27, 2015
· On Friday, January 29 beginning at 9:30 a.m., the inbound lanes of the West Shoreway will be reduced to one lane in order to remove an overhead sign truss near the West 45th Street exit. Around noon, the inbound lanes of the West Shoreway will close completely for about half an hour at Lake Avenue in order to complete the removal work. Traffic will be detoured via Lake and Detroit Avenues and may re-enter the West Shoreway at West 45th Street. All lanes should reopen by 3:30 p.m. **Note: The Lake Avenue on-ramp to the inbound West Shoreway will also close for half an hour at noon for this work. The westbound lanes of the Shoreway will NOT be impacted.
· On Monday, February 1 crews will close a small portion of Cass Avenue/West 54th Street thru about June 2016. For more info on this closure, click here.
Log-on to www.LakefrontWest.transportation.ohio.gov for more info!What’s Next for the Lakefront West Project?? Crews will work to construct the multi-use path as well as perform side street and ramp work. All lanes are anticipated to remain open during the RNC. In the late summer/fall of 2016, the West Shoreway is expected to close in its entirety between Lake Avenue and West 73rd Street for about a month as crews replace the West Shoreway bridge over the ramp that carries Lake Avenue onto the West Shoreway eastbound. Limited access will be maintained via the Lake Avenue exit ramp which will be converted for two-way use. After replacement of the bridge is complete, at least two-lanes will be maintained in each direction on the West Shoreway. Additional details will be forthcoming.
October 14, 2015
- NEW!! On Monday, October 19, the Lake Avenue exit ramp from the Shoreway westbound will close though January 2016. To detour, continue on the Shoreway westbound, turn right on Lake Avenue and continue to the Lake/West Blvd intersection. The closure allows for pavement replacement and drainage work. The Lake Avenue entrance ramp to the Shoreway east remains closed through mid-December 2015.
- REMINDER! On the Shoreway, one lane remains closed in each direction along with off-peak closures of additional lanes. The speed limit for both east and westbound traffic is now 35 MPH between Clifton Boulevard and the Main Avenue Bridge.
- The Shoreway eastbound exit ramp to Edgewater Park remains closed through mid-December 2015. Detour map here.
September 1, 2015
From the Ohio Department of TransportationThe State Route 2 eastbound (inbound) exit ramp to Edgewater Park is scheduled to close on Tuesday, September 8 for approximately 100 days. The closure is part of the Ohio Department of Transportation’s West 73rd Street Extension and the Lakefront West Reconstruction projects. During this closure, crews will be replacing the pavement on the exit ramp and connecting with the new West 73rd Street Extension.
Motorists will detour via the West 45th Street exit ramp to Detroit Avenue to West 28th Street to Washington Street to West 25th Street to SR 2 westbound.
Also on Tuesday, September 8, crews will close the Lake Avenue entrance ramp to SR 2 eastbound (inbound) for approximately 100 days. During this closure, crews will perform pavement replacement work on the entrance ramp and bridge work on SR 2 over the entrance ramp. Motorists will detour via West Boulevard to Clifton Boulevard to enter SR 2 eastbound.
This construction work is phased to allow the bulk of work and impacts to take place during the late fall months when recreation in the area is decreasing.
The Lakefront West Project is working to connect Cleveland's west side neighborhoods with the lakefront by creating multi-modal connections along the West Shoreway between West Boulevard and the Main Avenue Bridge. The Lakefront West Project will increase access to Lake Erie, improve green space, biking and pedestrian facilities, increase development potential and simplify connections along the now limited-access freeway.
June 22, 2015
From the Ohio Department of Transportation:The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) and City of Cleveland are pleased to announce that the final phase of the three-phase Cleveland Lakefront West project is underway! The Lakefront West Project connects Cleveland's west side neighborhoods with the lakefront by creating multi-modal connections along the West Shoreway between West Boulevard and the Main Avenue Bridge.The $41.5 million third phase will reconstruct the West Shoreway and make safety improvements at West 28th and West 45th Streets. Major work is set to begin on June 29 and is expected to be complete in the fall of 2017. Minor operations – including landscaping – will continue thru summer 2018.
On Monday, June 29, the right lane will close on State Route 2 eastbound (inbound) between Clifton Boulevard and the Main Avenue Bridge through fall 2015. Also on the 29th, the speed limit in both directions will be reduced to 40 mph. In the fall of 2015, the speed limit will become the new regulatory speed limit of 35 mph.
On Monday, July 6, the right lane will close on State Route 2 westbound (outbound) between the Main Avenue Bridge and Clifton Boulevard through fall 2015. Construction operations will include retaining wall and drainage work along with new pavement and curbs.
During mid/late-summer, traffic on the Herman Avenue bridge over the West Shoreway will be reduced to southbound traffic only for approximately 60 days as the Herman Avenue ramps to the westbound Shoreway are replaced.
During late-summer 2015, the eastbound exit ramp to Edgewater Park will close for approximately 90 days and the westbound exit ramp to Lake Avenue will close for approximately 90 days. Further details on these two closures will be forthcoming.
The entire project includes:
· Replacement of the existing pavement between Lake Avenue/Clifton Boulevard and the Main Avenue Bridge;
· Installation of a new multipurpose trail between West Boulevard and West 28th Street;
· Replacement of the eastbound exit ramp to West 45th Street as well as the ramps on the north side of the West Shoreway;
· Reconstruction of the Main Avenue/West 25th Street corridor to better accommodate trucks; and
· Permanently closing the West 28th Street entrance ramp to SR 2 eastbound.
This two-mile freeway will be transformed into a scenic, tree-lined boulevard. The project will preserve three lanes of traffic in each direction – the same number you see today. Reduction of the speed limit from 50 mph to 35 mph is expected to add just over a minute of total travel time along the boulevard.
The entire three-phase project invests $ 95 million in the City of Cleveland and increases access to Lake Erie, improves green space, biking and pedestrian facilities, increases development potential and simplifies connections along the now limited-access freeway.
Additional traffic impacts will take place in 2016 and 2017. Details for those will be posted to the project website www.lakefrontwest.transportation.ohio.gov or sign-up to receive email updates about the project here.
May 27, 2015From the Ohio Department of Transportation:Roadway Work on Lakefront West Project Kicking-Off! Much anticipated roadway work on the Lakefront West project which will transform Cleveland’s West Shoreway is kicking off soon! During the week of June 1 crews will begin preliminary work with lane closures in both directions between Clifton Boulevard and the Main Avenue Bridge during off-peak hours. Learn more about this exciting project by joining ODOT & Councilman Matt Zone for a public meeting on Thursday, June 4 at Louisa May Alcott School in Cleveland.
Log-on to www.LakefrontWest.transportation.ohio.gov for more info!