Continuing Education for Ohio Real Estate Professionals pending. Earn 6 CE hours in ONE DAY!
- 7:30 AM - 8:30 AM Breakfast
- 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM Education Sessions
- 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM Keynote Luncheon
- 4:00 PM Mega Reception
Session A: 8:30 - 9:30 AM
- Proactive vs. Reactive Façade Restoration and Maintenance - Tanya Shepherd / Jeff Knittel, Western Specialty Contractors
- Look at the different types of building façade construction and a timeline of common failures to help you and your maintenance team identify issues to prevent water intrusion which can lead to structural damage and costly repairs.
- Lease Language for Landlords - Keith Raker, ESQ. Tucker Ellis LLP
- Strong enforceable lease language is the first step in Risk Management at commercial office buildings. Leases should incorporate a thorough definition of the space(s) involved and what is permitted by tenants. Common pitfalls of typical leases will also be discussed.
- Bed Bugs in the Workplace - What Building Managers Need to Know - John Gedeon Jr., General Pest Control Co.
- Bed bugs are now being carried into the workplace by employees, visitors, staff and trades people. Respond decisively and effectively to a report of bed bugs and obtain proven procedures to provide calm, avoid panic and evaluate treatment alternatives.
Session B: 9:45 - 10:45 AM
- Alterations of Existing Buildings: “Ask the Structure” - Josh Boggs / Tyler Stillings, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates
- Common building repurposing or modifications may influence existing gravity load-carrying structural elements and trigger requirements of the Ohio Building Code. Review 2 case studies showing how to satisfy code requirements while incurring little to no additional cost.
- Utilities Management - Rajiv Bazaj, Constellation
- Learn how to develop your integrated energy strategy to simplify the procurement process while achieving cost effectiveness. Understand fixed vs. index contracts, technology applications and see an overview of energy saving options.
- Bringing Spaces Alive with Organic Interiorscaping - Todd Silverman / Sally Stevens, Plantscaping
- Learn about the science behind the benefits of plants in buildings, biophilia—the human connection to the outside world, conditions for adding plants to spaces, ways to bring the outside in, and new design trends.
Session C: 11:00 AM - Noon
- Waterproofing and Protection of Vehicular and Pedestrian Traffic Surfaces - Gene Shevchenko, BASF
- Explore various means and methods of waterproofing vehicular and pedestrian decks through the use of liquid membranes. Review multiple technologies available and proper installation procedures that result in an effective protection strategy for concrete decks.
- Trends impacting the Future of Office Buildings - Abhi Jadhav, Georgia Pacific Pro (GP Pro)
- Long-term trends like Sustainability and Densification impact buildings today. What are some of the Emerging Issues/Recent Developments in Building Automation of the Future? Review future trends such as health & wellbeing, IoT, coworking spaces and hygiene hyperawareness to position your property for success.
- What is Blockchain? - Nick Ward & Denny Murphy, Skoda Minotti
- Blockchain is posed to revolutionize the way companies do business. Learn what blockchain is, how it works and its application to various industries including a deep dive into the accounting and real estate industries.
Lunch: Noon - 1:30 PM
- Sponsored by Constellation and RWK Services, Inc.
- Brian Cappelli, RPA, BOMA Fellow, CEO BOMA International
- Obtain an overview of the CRE Market and garner some of the income and expense trends from the BOMA Experience Exchange Report. Hear what trends BOMA sees that will impact the CRE industry moving into the next decade.
Session D: 1:45 - 2:45 PM
- AFDD - Enabling Data-Driven Building Ops w/Smart Technology - Peter Wilson, Schneider Electric
- Automated fault detection and diagnostics (AFDD) can analyze large amounts of building systems data. Learn how AFDD can supply proactive, predictive, and preventive information that can benefit serviceability, optimization, and comfort to your tenants by augmenting your BAS system.
- Emergency Recovery Planning – The Next Generation - Daniel Pyne, ServiceMaster by Disaster Recon
- Discuss the history of Disaster Recovery & Planning and the lessons learned. Learn what should be included in your plan and hear about the latest technological advancements.
- Practical Security and Loss Prevention Surveys - Tom Lekan, Thomas J. Lekan Security
- Learn the components of a security and loss prevention analysis of your building along with practical guidelines to conduct one. Discover how to avoid or deal with litigation caused by an incident that happens at your facility.
Session E: 3:00 - 4:00 PM
- Proactive Approach to Roofing – Chris White, Boak and Sons Roofing
- Technology has made a huge impact in the roofing industry, with software programs designed to manage your roof assets, help minimize paperwork and manage warranties. Receive the Q&A to qualify a contractor.
- Creating Tomorrow's High-Performance Workplace - Megan Spinos, Vocon
- Creating tenant spaces that align with the owner’s priorities while keeping pace with new demands on the tenant experience is now required. This session will discuss the future of work, and how the workplace is being reinvented to keep pace.
- Historic Tax Credits - Jonathan Sandvick, Sandvick Architects
- The Historic Tax Credit program encourages the rehabilitation and re-use of historic buildings. In Ohio, it can be combined with the federal tax credit program. Learn how that has impacted NE Ohio through one of the leading experts in the field.
Happy Hour: 4:00 - 6:00 PM
- Sponsored by Neptune Plumbing & Heating Co.
- Join your fellow students and sponsors with a refreshing beverage and snacks following a great day or education.
BOMA Member Registration — $100 / ticket
Non Member Registration — $125 / ticket
Time and Date:
Thursday, March 21, 2019
07:30 AM — 06:00 PM
DoubleTree by Hilton